Gayatri Mantra is a prayer song of conscious connection to the Primal Force of Life. It is chanted in yoga traditions that incorporate mantra. As with the Om chant and yoga itself, it is born of cosmic consciousness, sounding it activates a universal connection, beyond dogma and cultural orientation.
The sound/vibration of mantra is a science in its own right, a mystery to only the thinking mind! Mantra is best practiced with heart and mind open to a state of love and devotion. In deep meditation we may connect with mantra in our own bodymind-consciousness. Mantra helps achieve a direct connection of bodymind and spirit to the one-ness of All that is – the Source energy makes its own vibrational sense. Read or sing the words frequently and it will reveal its wisdom.
A translation consistent with a holistic universe
Interpretation of the Indian Sanskrit rituals and mantra translations differ. As we already know functionality of a mantra is only partially understood by literal understanding, perhaps even hampered by the intellect. Of course a passing, or deeper interest, of the cultural background of the origins and history of the mantra is in order. Just always bear in mind that true meaning of mantra is in the vibrational quality of sounding the phrases, listening to recordings of mantra, or “feeling” the sound vibrations by reading the phrases. One does not have to know the sea is salty to experience it.
Read this with a modern global spiritual world and holographic quantum science insight:
1. Om salutation to All that dwells in the physical realm, conscious mind and omnipresent spirit.
2. Honour to The Protector, the basis of all life, Whose contact frees the soul from all troubles, Whose brilliant qualities pervade Everything.
3. Who purifies and sustains all, the Creator and Energizer of the whole Universe, an Enlightened Perfect One, with focus on You.
4. The Purifier of all Who directs us on our path of Enlightenment.
The Sanskrit verse:
1. Om. Bhu-r bhuvah, svah.
2. Tat sa-vi-tur va-re n yam.
3. Bhar-g de-va-sya dhi-ma-hi.
4. Di-yo yo nah. Pra-co-da-yat.
Duality, OM and Gayatri
The unresolved duality (discontent) and the blessing (of one-ness non-duality awareness) typifies the human condition on earth.
Consider this: In yoga the “OM” sound is associated with the active forming of our universe, the Big Bang as an “act of God”, where “god” is Brahma. This “god” is an aspect of The Ineffable, or Unknowable All That Is. Gayatri Mantra is associated with Adi Shakti, the Divine Feminine. Together these two aspects represent a masculine and feminine duality of our worldly existence and universe. Combined they present a non-duality Mystery of the Eternal Whole beyond time-space reality. As everything in this reality, all the parts and dimensions thereof, is an expression of this Great Mystery, True Self requires combining, making whole of the yin and yang of the duality nature.
This requires personal healing of all the aspects of small ego self, the unconscious-illusion of limited duality. A transformation into True Self takes place when we consciously collapse the polarities of duality. When the veils of duality-illusion is lifted, the time-space limitation of the Maya (separate world illusion) falls away to reveal the underlying One-ness of All.
Of course life goes on in ordinary reality, but with a difference: the inner masculine and feminine is harmonised, and to maintain the balance requires ongoing balance of our inner masculine and feminine. Hatha yoga rests within this principle. The sun and moon continuous as is, but as part of a solar system and a greater universe. Om and Gayatri connects us to the Divine Masculine and – Feminine within – as a reflection of a greater universe.
Our personal prana is connected to Universal Prana, the emanation energy of All That Is, to evolve aspects of Higher Consciousness. When we surrender to Mystery of The Ineffable we may begin to understand the whole.
Practice “Just do it”
Get to know and use this and other mantra for your personal, and communal upliftment. Regularly listen to recordings, as functional “decorative music” that simultaneously helps raise connection to All that Is. As we become more familiar with the “wisdom code vibrations” we also begin to surrender to The Mystery, and call for help or assistance in our daily spiritual evolution. The Gayatri mantra is a way of compassion for all life, a connection to Source, wherever or however exactly you feel it is. Practice this in contemplation, feeling, not thinking or emotionally.
● About the Sri Yantra (graphic at top, external link): “yantra” is a sacred diagram, a “visual mantra” or sacred geometry that transmits subtle information of mystical significance to the one who looks at it, opening inner awareness and receptivity to the information that the yantra expresses. Very often, Buddhist monks and other spiritual practitioners focus on a yantra or mandala while meditating. Sri Yantra is often paired with the Gayatri Mantra to potentise its potential.
● See my blog Sounds of Devotion.
● Sanskrit and mantra is a fascinating topic, here is a reference (external link) to the Vedic poetic meter and the Gaytri.
Chant on, OM & Mantra Blessings