Gayatri Mantra is chanted to establish conscious connection to the Life Force. Sounding a mantra, in song or recital, is an invocation or activation, that activates a universal connection, beyond dogma and cultural orientation – which is why Gayatri is regularly used in yoga traditions that incorporate mantra.
In deep meditation we connect with mantra in our own bodymind-consciousness
The AUM chant and yoga itself is born of cosmic consciousness. Mantra helps create is a heart and mind open to a state of love and devotion. Mantra helps achieve a direct connection of bodymind and spirit to the one-ness of All That Is – the Source energy makes its own vibrational sense when mantra is read or sung frequently. The sound/vibration of mantra is a science in its own right, a mystery to only the thinking mind! In time it reveals its wisdom to its practitioner.
Translation of Gayatri Mantra consistent with a holistic universe
Interpretation of the Sanskrit rituals and mantra translations differ from translator to translator according to skill and cultural influences.
1. Om. Bhu-r bhuvah, svah.
2. Tat sa-vi-tur va-re n yam.
3. Bhar-g de-va-sya dhi-ma-hi.
4. Di-yo yo nah. Pra-co-da-yat.
A modern global spiritual world and insights from holographic quantum science may be combined to understand this verse as:
1. Om salutation to All that dwells in the physical realm, conscious mind and omnipresent spirit.
2. Honour to The Protector, the basis of all life, Whose contact frees the soul from all troubles, Whose brilliant qualities pervade Everything.
3. Who purifies and sustains all, the Creator and Energizer of the whole Universe, an Enlightened Perfect One, with focus on You.
4. The Purifier of all Who directs us on our path of Enlightenment.
Because functionality of a Sanskrit mantra is only partially understood by literal understanding, it is perhaps hampered by the intellect. Of course a passing, or deeper interest, of the cultural background of the origins and history of the mantra is in order. Always bear in mind that true meaning of mantra is in the vibrational quality of sounding the phrases, listening to recordings of mantra, or “feeling” the sound vibrations by reading the phrases. One does not have to know the sea is salty to experience it’s oceanic salty reality.
Duality, OM and Gayatri
Unresolved duality manifest as discontent, while non-duality reality perception nourish the blessing of one-ness awareness. Flipping between these polarities, or being in one or the other, typifies the human condition on earth.
In yoga the “OM” or “AUM” sound is associated Universal One-ness. The Ineffable, an Unknowable All That Is that may have “caused” Creation, by the Creator as the Big Bang exploded us into being. “God” is Brahma, the godhead, with Divine properties of the masculine and feminine, in Yoga, Shiva-Shakti. The Spirit of this Universe is Shekinah, or the Holy Ghost. The energy that drives all manifestation is Prana, the Life Force.
Gayatri Mantra is associated with Adi Shakti, the Divine Feminine. Together these two aspects represent a masculine and feminine duality of our worldly existence and universe. Combined they present a non-duality Mystery of the Eternal Whole beyond time-space reality. As everything in this reality, all the parts and dimensions thereof, is an expression of this Great Mystery, True Self requires combining, making whole of the yin and yang of the duality nature.
This requires personal healing of all the aspects of small ego self, the unconscious-illusion of duality. A transformation into True Self takes place when we consciously collapse the polarities of duality. When the veils of duality-illusion is lifted, the time-space limitation of the Maya (separate world illusion) and Samsara, the wordly life, falls away to reveal the underlying One-ness of All.
Of course life goes on in ordinary reality, but with a difference: the inner masculine and feminine is harmonised, and to maintain the balance requires ongoing balance of our inner masculine and feminine. Hatha yoga rests within this principle. The sun and moon continuous in orbit, but as part of a greater universe. Om and Gayatri connects us to the Divine Masculine and – Feminine within – as a reflection of a greater universe.
Practice “Just do it”
Our personal prana is connected to Universal Prana, the emanation energy of All That Is, to evolve aspects of Higher Consciousness. When we surrender to Mystery of The Ineffable we may begin to understand the whole.
Get to know and use this and other mantra for your personal, and communal upliftment. Regularly listen to recordings, to helps raise connection to All that Is. As we become more familiar with the “wisdom code vibrations” we also learn to surrender to The Mystery, for help or assistance in our daily spiritual evolution.
The Gayatri Mantra is a way of compassion for all life, a connection to Source, wherever or however exactly you feel it is. Practice this in contemplation, feeling, not thinking or emotionally.
More about Sri Yantra and Mantra
● About the Sri Yantra (graphic at top, external link): “yantra” is a sacred diagram, a “visual mantra” or sacred geometry that transmits subtle information of mystical significance to the one who looks at it, opening inner awareness and receptivity to the information that the yantra expresses. Very often, Buddhist monks and other spiritual practitioners focus on a yantra or mandala while meditating. Sri Yantra is often paired with the Gayatri Mantra to potentise its potential – see my blog Sounds of Devotion.
● Sanskrit and mantra is a fascinating topic, here is a reference (external link) to the Vedic poetic meter and the Gaytri.
In OM, with Mantra Blessings