A vital life-management skill
Relaxation is a vital life-management skill. The Five Keys provide invaluable insights into how to attain body-mind well-being.
● Facilitates short-term stress release
● Can help us understand the origins of stress and develop the means to manage it effectively
● Can prevent stress habits from turning into chronic stress patterns
● Can provide emergency stress relief, releasing acute anxiety or panic attacks caused by extreme, unmanaged stress
● Enables rejuvenation and healing. Deep, focussed rest counters the damaging effects of stress and exhaustion, and assists and speeds up recovery from stress
● Uses mind power and focussed mental concentration to release thought clutter and put your body at ease
Understand the body-mind connection
Understanding the body-mind connection is probably the most important aspect of stress management. Grasp this connection, apply good posture, effective breathing, maintain optimum mobility – move regularly to energise the body and prevent onset of body stress. Adopting this holistic approach to stress release is an obvious and natural way of being, further explored and amplified by the Fifth Key of mindfulness practices and lifestyle body-mind-spirit integration.
Learning, and applying meditation techniques is the natural and vital next step in this process. This helps keep the mind clear of the stress that manifest as tightness in the body. Knowing that the First Key (Posture), Breath Key (2nd key) and Third Key (Mobility) helps prevent rigidity of body that helps to effectively alleviate and manage stress teaches us how stress happens in the body and in the mind, and that both aspects need to be involved in an effective stress management solution.
How to practice Key 5 Stress Release
Use the diagram and the “Holistic Five Keys tip for Key 4 Stress Release” for 3 complimentary stress release positions:
● lying horizontally (savasana),
● in a supported back bend and
● a supported Alexander technique position.
Audio: 30 minute guided deep relaxation
The Holistic Five Keys tip for Key 4 Stress Release
Key 4 is an effective release mechanism for stress because it utilises good posture (Key 1) to make effective breathing (Key 2) possible. The 3 stress release positions (diagram above) simultaneously helps develop good posture and effective breathing. Movement, or Mobility (Key 3) further enhances stress release and relaxation, and is also aided by effective breathing and good posture. Meditation (Key 5) is much easier in a relaxed body, with sound postural and breath awareness. This is the comprehensive, yet simple nature of the Five Keys to Well-being.
Return to the Introduction to the Five Keys to Well-being